The mission of Brigham Young University — founded, supported, and guided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints — is to assist individuals in their quest for perfection and eternal life.
A BYU education should be spiritually strengthening, intellectually enlarging, and character building, leading to lifelong learning and service.
BYU Strategic Objectives
- Ensure alignment with the university mission.
- Make mission-fit hiring decisions.
- Admit students who are committed to the type of education described in the BYU mission and aims and who are willing and eager to learn in an environment of study and faith.
- Advance faith-based, high-quality teaching and learning.
- Advance student-centered mentoring and scholarship.
- Promote a sense of belonging among all members of the campus community consistent with BYU's Statement on Belonging.
- Enhance BYU’s position as a leader in topical areas that are “central to the Church’s purposes” (as stated in the BYU mission), including languages and the institutions of family, religion, and constitutional government.
- Enhance the educational experience of students.
- Pursue the Inspiring Learning Initiative.
- Improve access to limited-enrollment programs.
- Leverage the strengths of online learning to enhance the student learning experience.
- Enlarge the influence of a BYU education.
- Increase the number of students receiving a BYU education.
- Elevate BYU's unique message to key audiences.
For the Benefit of the World
We believe a world yearning for hope and joy needs the graduates of Brigham Young University (BYU). As disciples of Jesus Christ, BYU graduates are motivated by love for God and His children. BYU graduates are directed by living prophets and prepared to serve, lift, and lead. This preparation demands a unique university model: at BYU, belief enhances inquiry, study amplifies faith, and revelation leads to deeper understanding.
At BYU, helping students to develop their full divine potential is central to both our teaching and our scholarship. As the flagship higher education institution of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, BYU strives to emit a unique light for the benefit of the world—a light that will enable BYU to be counted among the exceptional universities in the world and an essential example for the world.